This page is translated using machine translation. Please note that the content may not be 100% accurate.

Chuo-ku Tourism Association Official Blog

Chuo-ku Tourism Association correspondent blog

Introducing Chuo-ku's seasonal information by sightseeing volunteer members who passed the Chuo-ku Tourism Association's Chuo-ku Tourism Certification and registered as correspondents.

List of Authors

>>About this blog

Recent blog post

◆There is a history here in Chuo-ku (35) Ningyocho / Genji Store, a talented ukiyo-e artist-Kuniyoshi Utagawa

[Akira Makibuchi / Sharakusai] December 17, 2011 18:41

Ukiyo-e artist Kuniyoshi Utagawa [Utagawa Kuniyoshi = 1797 (1797)-1861 (1861)]. Born in Honshiroganemachi, he lived in Genyadana in his later years and became the land of demise. Currently, the "Kuniyoshi Utagawa Exhibition 150 Years After Death" (Roppongi Mori Arts Center Gallery until February 12) is being held (upper left photo). The Edokko Kuniyoshi Utagawa, who created masterpieces in Nihonbashi, is now revived.

 

0913_35_111217-kuniyoshi.jpgKuniyoshi was born in 1797 in Hongincho 1-chome. It is now Nihonbashi Muromachi 4-chome close to Kanda. His real name is Sonzaburo Igusa. In 1808 (1806), when he was 12 years old, he was recognized by Toyokuni Utagawa and became a disciple. The first Hiroshige Utagawa was of the same age, Yahari, at the time, a prosperous Utagawa school Toyohiromonjin. At the age of 31 in 1827 (1827), the "Hyogo Suikoden Greatest of eight hundred people" series hit a big hit and solidified the ground with warrior paintings. The dynamic composition depicting characters on the full screen seems to have attracted people. In 1842 (1842), it is said that due to the reform of Tenpo, it became impossible to draw actors' paintings, prostitutes, and geisha from there to show talent in caricatures and satires.

 

At first glance, a picture that looks like a graffiti represents a humorous rebellion soul that anyone who sees the actors actually knows. He drew a world of laughter and playfulness in a strange style, such as gathering people and creating portraits. There are many works about cats. Kuniyoshi's paintings may be familiar because they are on the cover of the monthly magazine "Nihonbashi". Recently, a hot topic is "Toto Mitsumata Figure" (late exhibition at the Kuniyoshi Exhibition), a scene that looks from Nakasu to the Fukagawa area, and makes you think that the towering towering high is the Edo Sky Tree.

 

Shigure Hasegawa, a female playwright, wrote Kuniyoshi as an old story of his father (Fukazo) in his book "Old Mon Nihonbashi".

 

"Kuniyoshi, who was at the Genji store, wrote that Oguro and Ebisu were taking horny power in a collaboration with Toyokuni, but (Father) was 6 or 7 years old. "Kuniyoshi's house was a small house with two frontages and five depths, and the garden was more than five. From the outside, his disciple was facing the desk, and Kuniyoshi had a habit of sitting on the surface. He was the second person in Toyokuni, but it was such a way of life. (hereinafter abbreviated) "(from Iwanami Bunko version). There is also an illustration by Fukazo Father, "Ukiyo-e artist Kuniyoshi's residence" (part = upper right photo).

 

In 1853 (1853), he lived at Shin-Izumicho Genji (currently Nihonbashi Ningyocho 3-chome) at the age of 57, and closed his 65-year-old life here in 1861 (1861). Currently, there is an explanation board for the Chuo-ku Board of Education at the site of the Genji store, but there is no description of Kuniyoshi (lower left in the photo). The graveJosuiminamicho, Kodaira-shiLocated in Nichiren sect Chushozan Daisenji Temple, the name of Kuniyoshi Ichiyusai is engraved (lower right photo). It is said that the temple was founded in Hatchobori in 1595 (1595), moved to Asakusa in 1644 (1644), was later hit by the war, and was rebuilt at its current location in 1948 (1948). ●Akira Makibuchi